Relaxation the Key to Spinal Mobility
Relaxing your spine to improve mobility
In order for your spine to achieve full range of motion, the muscles that support it need to be free of tension. Now this is a tall order. But there are certain activities that you can do on a daily basis to promote both relaxation of the muscles and elongation of the vertebral column- a win-win for spinal health that provides the relaxation you need to rediscover lost spinal mobility.
One of the best moves for relaxation and spinal mobility is called thoracic extension
- Start by placing a foam roller in a perpendicular position underneath your lower back.
- Allow your neck and shoulders to relax as they lean backwards. If this is too uncomfortable, use a small pillow to support your head.
- Cross your arms over your chest and rest in this extended position for 90 seconds.
- Now start rolling the foam roller between upper and lower back, bending your knees to assist the movement. This provides gentle traction for your spine.
- For the last part of the sequence, extend your arms over your head and continue the rolling momentum for another 90 seconds.
This stretching sequence is designed to relax the muscles in your back while improving spinal flexibility. It is just one example of the many simple ways you can improve your spinal health on a daily basis. If you are looking for a more holistic approach to spinal health care, give our office in Hackensack a call to schedule an appointment today.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.