Awareness of spinal health is an auto mechanics best tool
As an auto mechanic, your spine is one of your greatest assets. Unfortunately, you work in an industry that is brutal on the back! Mechanics consistently rate in the top 10 of professions which cause back pain- letting the nature of your work take its toll on your spine is the quickest way toward missed work time and disability. One of the reasons why auto mechanics suffer is because there is a lot of bending involved in their job; bending and lifting are two movements that cause a disproportionate amount of damage to the spine.
How auto mechanics can prevent back pain
With spinal health awareness comes great responsibility; here are some ways you can take the initative and start better protecting your spine today:
- Stretching: stretching beforehand ensures that you avoid shocking cold muscles into injury. Make sure you stretch out the lower back as the soft tissues here are constantly taxed during the day.
- Good lifting mechanics: involves bending your knees and crouching down in front of the object and using the power of your legs to spring upward; this as opposed to lifting with your upper body
- Use a lower back stabilizing belt
- Maintain postural awareness: every activity benefits when you focus on maintaining low-pressure positions.
- Position yourself as close as is safely possible to the part you are working on.
How we help auto mechanics in the Hackensack area
At our office in Hackensack, we are dedicated to helping auto mechanics maintain the health and integrity of their spines. Through spinal adjustment, decompression therapy, massage and other natural modalities, we ensure the proper alignment of your spine and facilitate healing; this is important for maintaining range of motion, improving pain symptoms and helping your circulatory system work more efficiently. If you are interested in protecting your back on the job, give our office a call to schedule an appointment today.