Work-related musculoskeletal injuries are on the rise
The repetitive trauma involved in office work is rampant. From typing on different devices, to sitting in the same position for hours on end, give your body the credit it deserves- this is no mean feat. The most common overuse injuries in a workplace setting include:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Spinal degeneration and back pain
Typing involves thousands of mini-vibrations that shock the little joints in your fingers and wrists. If not properly supported, these joints receive an undue amount of stress that will accumulate until it reaches a breaking point. Sitting all day involves sustaining an unnatural and awkward position for long periods of time and we often cave into the temporary comfort of slouching and slumping.
What to do about musculoskeletal injuries in the workplace
At Associates in Chiropractic, we are Houston’s workplace specialists when it comes to musculoskeletal pain. Our action plan for avoiding and treating workplace overuse injureis involves:
- Chiropractic care to maintain alignment and range of motion in the spinal joints.
- Ergonomic advice to help maintain a supported position for your wrists, hands and back
- Postural advice to help you stay aligned despite the pressures of sitting
- Stretching techniques for the workplace that keep circulation flowing and range of motion maintained
If you do suffer an overuse injury on the job, we treat it gently- observing the appropriate amount of time for rest and icing to reduce swelling and inflammation; gently reintroducing low-pressure movements to improve strength.
Teanek’s workplace injury resource
If you are interested in putting together a plan to fight back against the risk factors inherent in office work, give our office in Teaneck a call to schedule an appointment today. We are standing by to help you protect your most precious asset- your body.